THE STORY OF OUR QUEBEC CITY HOTEL
A 200 year-old house...
The Old Québec building that houses Hôtel Jardin Ste-Anne was built in stones around 1815 for navigator Joseph Belisle, and had only one floor.
The piece of land had been conceded in 1779 to master-carpenter Charles Auclair by the Québec Ursulines nuns. From 1816 to 1845, it belonged to Jean-Baptiste Larue, land-surveyor-geometer for Québec City.
He added a second floor, probably shortly after having acquired it. With its stone walls rough-cast and its roof with two slopes, bored attic windows and confined by stilted firewalls, the building then resembled the traditional type of urban house you could encounter in the city.
Through the years, the house underwent multiple transformations.
... turned into a comfortable hotel
Towards the end of the XIX century, the old stone square was capped with a mansard roof and, in 1927, when the residence up to that point one-family is converted into a rooming house, this French-style roof was replaced by a third floor with a flat roof.
It is in 1946 that was built the extension which still currently remains in the backyard of our Old Québec hotel.
Since its transformation into a hotel in 1956, when Arthur Doyon acquired it, the house did not undergo major modifications. Inside, the fireplaces, some walled windows and some interior divisions are interesting traces testifying of the initial organization of Jean-Baptiste Larue’s house.
In 2012, the building was purchased by the Doré-Couillard family and is now part of the properties of Groupe Champlain, as Hôtel Jardin Ste-Anne.